Private Wealth and Estate Planning
We wrote the book on wills. Literally. Vik Sundar is an accredited estates practitioner, the author of Testamentary Trusts: Strategies and Precedents and a leading private wealth, tax and estate planning lawyer.
Our team specialises in developing and implementing estate planning solutions designed to achieve your objectives in a tax-effective manner, and tailored to the circumstances of your beneficiaries.
Chamberlains operates one of the leading estate planning practices in Canberra. Our team are published authors and academics in the area and are recognised by international professional estate planning organisations.
Not only did we literally write the book on estate planning, we did it twice. Our lawyers are the authors of two leading texts on estate planning, Discretionary Testamentary Trusts: Precedents and Commentary (2013) and Testamentary Trusts: Strategies and Precedents (2016) published by Lexis Nexis Butterworths.
We specialise in developing and implementing estate planning solutions to achieve your objectives and tailored to the circumstances of your beneficiaries.
Our estate planning, tax and structuring expertise allows us to develop estate plans that:
- Ensures that your estate passes to your intended beneficiaries and is protected from contestation where possible;
- Minimises CGT and income tax for your beneficiaries;
- Protects inheritances from relationship breakdown and bankruptcy; and
- Protects the inheritances of minor and vulnerable beneficiaries.
Business Succession Planning
Our unique tax and structuring expertise allows us to develop strategies to pass control of business and family entities on death or during your lifetime, in a tax effective and asset protective manner.
We can assist you with:
- Strategies to pass control of businesses to family members or new equity participants;
- Ensuring that there is appropriate governance agreements in place to minimise disputes;
- Implementing appropriate buy-sell mechanisms to ensure the smooth entry and exit of equity holders.
We specialise in the full spectrum of SMSF advice, from start up to end.
We can assist you with:
- Implementing an appropriate trustee structure;
- Establishing an SMSF;
- Ensuring that your SMSF is compliant and has the appropriate legal documentation;
- Minimising superannuation death benefit taxes;
- Implementing a succession strategy to ensure that you superannuation passes to your intended beneficiaries;
- Drafting SMSF wills;
- SMSF borrowing; and
- ATO disputes
We can assist you with all legal documentation to enable your SMSF to borrow and acquire property in accordance with the requirements of the SIS Act.
Administering an estate can be both complex and time consuming.
We can assist you with all applications for probate and letters of administration in the ACT and NSW. We can also administer a deceased estate on your behalf or guide you through the process through our executor assist service.
Whether you are the executor of an estate defending a claim or where you have been excluded as a beneficiary of an estate, we can assist you with enforcing your rights in relation to an estate.
Our estate planning and litigation expertise allows us to effectively advise you not only on the technical aspects of estates litigation, but also in seeking a cost effective and commercial outcome.
Our Estate Planning Experts.
Managing Director | Advisory – Private Wealth & Tax
Vik is one of Canberra’s leading tax, estate planning and private business lawyers. He is the author of two leading estate planning texts and is internationally certified with the Society for Trust and Estate Practitioners.
Lawyer | Advisory
Clarissa is a client-focussed lawyer in Advisory, specialising in commercial, property and estate planning matters. Clarissa is a member of the ACT Law Society Committee and is heavily involved in her community.