The ride-sharing app Uber is now many people’s preferred choice when it comes to getting from A to B. Faster, cheaper, and easier. But what happens if you are involved in an accident whilst in an Uber? Are you covered for personal injury compensation?
The short answer is yes.
All rides arranged using the Uber app in Australia are covered by a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance policy, so if you are in an accident, you can claim for personal injury under the CTP scheme. Also, every uberX trip is covered by Uber’s contingent vehicle liability policy which provides at least $20 million cover for third party bodily injury and property damage. It doesn’t matter if the accident is caused by your Uber driver or the other vehicle; you can rest assured you will be covered for your claim.
What to do if you’re in an accident
If you are injured as a passenger in an Uber vehicle, be sure to:
- Ensure that everyone involved in the accident is okay.
- Get the details of all the parties involved, including any witnesses. Be sure that you have your Uber driver’s name and registration written down somewhere, in case something occurs with the trip booking details on the Uber app.
- See a doctor if an ambulance does not attend the scene of the accident. Sometimes injuries can manifest themselves days after an accident.
- Report the incident to the police, even if you think someone else will report it.
- Use the app to report the accident to Uber: find “Your Trips” on the app, find the trip in which the accident occurred, and select “I was involved in an accident”. Uber’s app will take you through a form containing a series of questions regarding the details of the accident. An Uber representative will then contact you.
- Keep all receipts for any medical treatment you receive following the accident, including receipts for pain relief medication, and any medical certificates for time off work as a result of the accident.
- Most importantly – see your solicitor to lodge a claim ASAP. There are strict time limits for lodging a personal injury claim in the ACT, so be sure to make an appointment with your solicitor and lodge your claim forms urgently. Otherwise, you may find yourself out of time, and significantly out of pocket.
If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident, the team at Chamberlains will ensure your rights are protected and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Interested in learning more on Injury & Compensation Law?
Click our recent articles below to find out more: